Questions about Stone Fireplaces and adding a TV
1. Your TV is going to need to get power and a chase to run your HDMI cables to your existing fireplace before the stone veneer is installed. If the fireplace is currently drywall it is a relatively easy process for your contractor to install the electric and chase. If you have a brick fireplace, the brick will need to be channeled out first to create a pathway. Also the drywall might need some patching. The only problem that sometimes adds a bit more time and money is if there is no electric near the fireplace.
2. Do You Add A Wood Mantel? We typically suggest that you choose either a wood mantel or a TV with your stone fireplace. Installing both a TV and wood mantel, things typically get too crowded. Either you have to mount the TV to high, or it looks like the TV is sitting on the mantel. Wood Mantel Examples
3. How High to Mount the TV? That is personal and depends on the existing height of the firebox and the height of the entire new stone fireplace. A great tool is to tape out the area with blue tape and get a visual of the size and the height of the fireplace. For most installations, the top of the TV shouldn’t be higher than 6’6? to 7? high. Also try to keep at least 17? from the bottom of TV frame and the top of the firebox and 20? would be better. Stone Fireplace Design Ideas
4. TV Mounting Brackets. There are so many different brands, but we do suggest a bracket that allows for tilt and at least some swivel. When mounting the bracket, we suggest installing 2×6?‘s to the studs of the fireplace wall and then installing the stone up to the area around the wood where the mounting bracket will be placed.
5. What is the Cost of Getting the TV Wired Before my Stone Fireplace is Installed? Labor markets differ and so do skill levels. In the Chicago market with a skilled electrician and carpenter getting involved, expect to spend about $500 -$600. But once this work is done, you will now have years of watching TV and enjoying that brand new stone fireplace.
For More Information about stone fireplaces, stone veneer, interior stone walls, stone wine cellars or stone fireplace design ideas contact us and we will be glad to answer your questions.
North Star Stone, Inc.
1921 Industrial Dr.
Libertyville, IL 60048
Showroom Hours by appointment